Agenda

Council - Wednesday, 5th October, 2022 6.00 pm, NEW

Venue: Council Chamber - Council Offices. View directions

Contact: Emma Denny  Email: Emma.Denny@north-norfolk.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

1.

In memory of Paul Neale

Members are requested to observe a one minute silence in memory of Paul Neale, a member of staff who sadly passed away on 7th August 2022.

2.

Apologies for Absence

To receive apologies for absence, if any.

3.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 525 KB

To confirm the minutes of the meeting of the Council held on 27 July 2022.

4.

Items of Urgent Business

To determine any other items of business which the Chairman decides should be considered as a matter of urgency pursuant to Section 100B (4)(b) of the Local Government Act 1972.

5.

TO RECEIVE DECLARATIONS OF INTERESTS FROM MEMBERS pdf icon PDF 721 KB

Members are asked at this stage to declare any interests that they may have in any of the following items on the agenda.  The Code of Conduct for Members requires that declarations include the nature of the interest and whether it is a disclosable pecuniary interest (see attached guidance and flowchart)

6.

Chairman's Communications

To receive the Chairman’s communications, if any.

7.

Leader's Announcements

To receive any announcements from the Leader.

8.

Public Questions and Statements

To consider any questions or statements received from members of the public.

9.

Appointments to Committees, sub-committees, working parties and outside bodies

To approve any changes to appointments to committees, sub-committees, working parties and outside bodies, as advised by the Group Leaders.

10.

Portfolio Reports pdf icon PDF 402 KB

To receive reports from Cabinet Members on their portfolios.

 

Members are reminded that they may ask questions of the Cabinet Member on their reports and portfolio areas but should note that it is not a debate.

 

No member may ask more than one question plus a supplementary question, unless the time taken by members’ questions does not exceed 30 minutes in total, in which case, second questions will be taken in the order that they are received (Constitution, Chapter 2, part 2, section 12.2)

 

Cabinet members (listed alphabetically):

 

Cllr T Adams (Leader / Executive Support)

Cllr A Brown – Planning & Enforcement

Cllr A Fitch-Tillett – Coast

Cllr W Fredericks – Housing & Benefits

Cllr V Gay – Leisure, Culture & Wellbeing

Cllr R Kershaw – Sustainable Growth

Cllr N Lloyd – Environment

Cllr E Seward – Finance, Assets & Legal

Cllr L Shires – Organisational Resources

Additional documents:

11.

Recommendations from Cabinet 06 September 2022 pdf icon PDF 316 KB

The following recommendations were made by Cabinet to Full Council at the meeting held on 6th September:

 

a)    Agenda item 9: Outturn Report 2021/2022

 

 

RESOLVED

 

To recommend the following to Full Council:

 

1.     The provisional outturn position for the General Fund revenue account for 2021/22;

 

2.     The transfers to and from reserves as detailed within the report (and appendix C) along with the corresponding updates to the 2022/23 budget;

 

3.     Allocate the surplus of £615,740 to the General Reserve;

 

4.     The financing of the 2021/22 capital programme as detailed within the report and at Appendix D;

 

5.     The balance on the General Reserve of £2.33 million;

 

6.     The updated capital programme for 2022/23 to 2025/26 and scheme financing as outlined within the report and detailed at Appendix E;

 

7.     The roll-forward requests as outline in Appendix G are approved.

 

b)    Budget Monitoring 2022/2023 – Period 4

 

To recommend to Full Council that £130,000 is released from the Major Repairs reserve to increase the existing capital budget for Fakenham Connect

 

c)     Treasury Management Annual Report 2021/2022

 

RESOLVED

 

To recommend that Council be asked to resolve that the Treasury Management Annual Report for 2021/22 is approved.

 

d)    Debt Recovery 2021/2022

 

RESOLVED

 

To recommend to Council the approval of the annual report giving details of the Council’s write-offs in accordance with the Council’s Debt Write-Off Policy and performance in relation to revenues collection.

Additional documents:

12.

Recommendations from the Overview & Scrutiny Committee 28th September 2022

The meeting of Overview & Scrutiny Committee was rescheduled and took place on 28th September – after the Full Council agenda was published. The Chairman will provide a verbal update on any recommendations.

13.

Community Governance Review pdf icon PDF 428 KB

Summary:

 

Following a request from Trunch Parish Council, North Norfolk District Council has agreed to undertake a Community Governance Review within the parish to consider a reduction in the number of seats on the Parish Council from eleven to seven.

 

Recommendation:

That Trunch Parish Council be reduced to a membership of nine (9) which would better reflect the size of its electorate and is within the same range as other councils which also have nine seats (as shown in the attached appendix).

 

           

Cabinet Member(s)

Tim Adams

 

Ward(s) affected

Trunch

           Contact Officer, telephone number and email:

           Rob Henry. X6327, robert.henry@north-norfolk.gov.uk

 

 

 

Additional documents:

14.

Questions Received from Members

None Received.

15.

Opposition Business

None Received.

16.

Notice(s) of Motion pdf icon PDF 133 KB

Please note that there is a total time limit of 30 minutes for this item – as set out in the Constitution, Chapter 2, paragraph 14.11

 

(For Motions 2 and 3, additional supporting information is provided at pages 171 – 178)

 

The following Notices of Motion have been received:

 

1.    Freezing of Council Tax

                                                            

‘The Independent Group at NNDC is putting forward this motion to the Leader of the District Council.

 

We are seeking your cooperation in helping to ease the social and financial problems that our residents are, or will be, facing over the coming year.

 

We are asking you to give consideration to freezing the 2023 council tax, when the financial planning procedure commences.

 

We feel  this could offer comfort for  residents  to know that at least one financial payment will not be  increased along with those we have no control over ( Utilities, General taxation, Interest rates ).

 

We fully appreciate that any commitment may be affected by edicts from the government preventing the freezing of council tax.

 

We are also seeking your assurance that this Authority will continue to look at ways that will help our more vulnerable residents at this time and into the forthcoming winter months’.

 

Cllr John Rest, (Independent Group Leader) PROPOSER

Cllr Jeremy Punchard, SECONDER

 

2.    This Council notes that families and individuals in our district face a cost-of-living crisis. 

‘People are facing rising food, energy and fuel prices, and increases that affect mortgage and rent payments.

People living in rural areas, like ours, are disproportionately affected by fuel price increases because of the lack of public transport and longer distances to reach work, education and health services.

North Norfolk has the oldest population in the country which means a larger number of people who are on fixed income pensions, are being specifically affected.

As a Council, we want to do everything within our means to support our residents during this extremely difficult time. 

We therefore propose the following:

Council RESOLVES to:

 

1. Thank our officers for the additional work already being done support residents amid this crisis

 

2. To hold a ‘Cost of Living Summit’, the outcome of which will be reported to Cabinet, along with any recommendations

       

 

3. To ask the Leader and Chief Executive to explore various options for providing additional support to our residents  

 

4. To ask the Leader to write to relevant government ministers and our local MPs to ask for urgent action to relieve the cost-of-living crisis through such measures’

 

                  Proposed by Cllr L Shires, seconded by Cllr V Gay       

 

3.    Sewage Outflows Data

 

‘Following a Liberal Democrat motion to Full Council, Anglian Water attended Overview & Scrutiny Committee earlier this year to explain the current situation in regard to combined sewage outflows into our waterways and bathing sites and how they intended to address this problem.

Members were positive that progress was being made when Anglian Water confirmed they were bringing forward their plan for the incorporation of water monitoring equipment at these potential sewage  ...  view the full agenda text for item 16.

Additional documents:

17.

Exclusion of Press and Public

To pass the following resolution – if necessary:

 

“That under Section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act 1972 the press and public be excluded from the meeting for the following item(s) of business on the grounds that they involve the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in paragraph(s) _ of Part 1 of Schedule 12A (as amended) to the Act.”

18.

Private Business