Council - Wednesday, 20th September, 2023 6.00 pm

Venue: Council Chamber - Council Offices. View directions

Contact: Emma Denny  Email:

No. Item


Tributes to former District Councillors Peter Terrington and John Lee

Following the recent passing of former District Councillor Peter Terrington and former Leader and Chairman of the Council, John Lee, members are invited to pay tribute and show their respect by observing a minute’s silence.


Presentation on the Chairman's Charity

There will be a short presentation by representatives from ‘Sir Norman Lamb’s Coalition of Young People’, which is the Chairman’s nominated charity for the civic year.


Apologies for Absence

To receive apologies for absence, if any.


Minutes pdf icon PDF 227 KB

To confirm the minutes of the meeting of the Council held on 19 July 2023.



Members are asked at this stage to declare any interests that they may have in any of the following items on the agenda.  The Code of Conduct for Members requires that declarations include the nature of the interest and whether it is a disclosable pecuniary interest (see attached guidance and flowchart)


Items of Urgent Business

To determine any other items of business which the Chairman decides should be considered as a matter of urgency pursuant to Section 100B (4)(b) of the Local Government Act 1972.


Public Questions and Statements

To consider any questions or statements received from members of the public.


Mr Musson has requested to ask a question on behalf of the Coltishall & Horstead B1150 Special Interest Group


Chairman's Communications

To receive the Chairman’s communications, if any.


Leader's Announcements

To receive any announcements from the Leader.


Appointments to Committees, sub-committees, working parties and outside bodies

The Group Leaders will inform Council of any changes to appointments on committees, sub-committees, working parties, panels and outside bodies.


Portfolio Reports pdf icon PDF 147 KB

To receive reports from Cabinet Members on their portfolios:


Cllr T Adams - Executive Support & Legal Services

Cllr H Blathwayt – Coast

Cllr A Brown – Planning & Enforcement

Cllr W Fredericks – Housing and People Services

Cllr P Heinrich – Sustainable Growth

Cllr C Ringer – IT, Environmental & Waste Services

Cllr L Shires – Finance, Estates & Assets

Cllr A Varley – Climate Change & Net Zero

Cllr L Withington – Community, Leisure & Outreach


Members are reminded that they may ask questions of the Cabinet Member on their reports and portfolio areas but should note that it is not a debate.


No member may ask more than one question plus a supplementary question, unless the time taken by members’ questions does not exceed 30 minutes in total, in which case, second questions will be taken in the order that they are received (Constitution, Chapter 2, part 2, section 12.2)



Additional documents:


Recommendations from Cabinet 04 September 2023 pdf icon PDF 802 KB

At the Cabinet meeting held on 4th September, the following recommendations were made to Full Council:


Agenda item 9: Budget Monitoring Period 4 2023-2024


To recommend to Full Council:


1)    That a new capital budget of £0.050m is added to the capital programme to fund repair works to the Marrams Footpath, with funding coming from the Council’s Capital Receipts.


2)    That a new capital budget of £0.370m is added to the capital programme to demolish and rebuild the Public Conveniences at Albert Street, Holt with £0.120m to be funded from an insurance claim and £0.250m to be funded from the Council’s Capital Receipts.


3)    That a new capital budget of £1.040m is added to the capital programme in respect of the Local Authority Housing Fund.


4)    That the current Provision of Temporary Accommodation Budget is increased by £0.178m to £0.983m for 2023/24 following receipt of the Local Authority Housing Fund grant.


5)    That a capital budget of £1.458m be added to the capital programme for the Rural England Prosperity Fund expenditure and £0.266m be added to the capital programme for the UK Shared Prosperity Fund expenditure as shown in paragraph 4.7 and note that this will be funded by external funding.


6)    That a capital budget of £14.610m be added to the capital programme as shown in paragraph 4.8 and note that the project will be funded by external funding. 


The Overview & Scrutiny Committee considered the recommendations at their meeting on 13th September. As this meeting took place after the Full Council agenda was published, the Chairman of the Committee will provide a verbal update on the Committee’s recommendations and comments at the meeting.


Agenda item 10: Debt Recovery Report 2022-2023


  1. To approve the annual report giving details of the Council’s write-offs in accordance with the Council’s Debt Write-Off Policy and performance in relation to revenues collection.
  2. To approve the suggested changes to the delegated authority as shown in appendix 2 for write offs.


The Overview & Scrutiny Committee considered the recommendations at their meeting on 13th September. As this meeting took place after the Full Council agenda was published, the Chairman of the Committee will provide a verbal update on the Committee’s recommendations and comments at the meeting.


Agenda Item 11 - Cromer Phase 2 and Mundesley Coastal management Schemes


To recommend that Full Council:

1)    Confirm its continued support for the approach being taken in the delivery of the Mundesley and Cromer Phase 2 Coastal Management Schemes.

2)    Delegate the authority to Director of Place and Climate Change, in consultation with the Portfolio Holder, to approve quotations, tenders, funding applications, access agreements and contractual appointments/variations. This is so the schemes can continue to progress in a timely manner.

3)    Approve increases in the delegated financial authority for the Director of Place and Climate Change (up to £1 million), for the Assistant Director of Place and Climate Change (up to £500,000) and for the Project Manager (up to £100,000) for these two schemes only.

4)    Approve  ...  view the full agenda text for item 12.

Additional documents:


Recommendations from Governance, Risk & Audit Committee 12 September 2023 pdf icon PDF 250 KB

The following recommendations were made to Full Council by the Governance, Risk & Audit Committee (GRAC) at the meeting held on 12 September 2023:


Agenda Item 9: GRAC Annual Report 2022- 2023


It was recommended that Council notes the report, affirms the work of the Governance, Risk & Audit Committee, and considers any concerns raised within the key issues section of the report.


Agenda item 12: Audit Committees and Independent Co-opted members


1.    To recommend to Full Council that 1 co-opted independent Member be appointed to the Governance Risk and Audit Committee [“GRAC”], for a 4 year period, subject any further, emerging advice

2.    Delegated authority be given to the Monitoring Officer, in consultation with the Chairman of GRAC, to undertake recruitment arrangements.


Please note that the report that was presented to the Committee is attached for context but that the Committee amended the original recommendations and the resolution above reflects these amendments.  

Additional documents:


Recommendations from the Overview & Scrutiny Committee 13 September 2023 pdf icon PDF 276 KB

The Committee made the following recommendation to Full Council at the meeting held on 13th September:


Agenda Item 15: Overview and Scrutiny Committee Annual Report 2022 – 2023


That Full Council notes the report, affirms the work of the Overview & Scrutiny Committee and considers the following concerns raised within the key issues section of the report:


·         A high number of apologies and limited substitute availability needs to be addressed by Group Leaders.

·         Some requested information has not been provided in a timely or satisfactory manner and needs to be addressed by officers.

·         Delayed finance reports have had an ongoing impact on the work programme that needs to be addressed by officers.

·         Non-attendance of the PCC at short notice impacted the Committee’s crime and disorder update, and substitutes will therefore be requested in future.


As the meeting took place after the Full Council agenda was published, the Chairman will provide a verbal update outlining any further recommendations made at the meeting.



Formation of the Independent Remuneration Panel pdf icon PDF 90 KB

Executive Summary

The purpose of this report is to advise members of the need to refresh and convene a meeting of the Independent Remuneration Panel to review the North Norfolk District Council Members’ Scheme of Allowances, in accordance with the requirements of the Local authorities (Members’ Allowances) Regulations 2003.


Options considered


Not applicable – there is a statutory requirement to review Members’ allowances every four years.



Neighbouring authorities were consulted regarding the make-up of their Independent Remuneration Panels, with the possibility of sharing panel members and supporting information, where possible.




It is recommended that:

(1) Full Council approves the convening of the Independent Remuneration Panel.

(2) Full Council approves the Terms of Reference for the Independent Remuneration Panel (section 3.6)

(3) Any representations that Members wish the Independent Remuneration Panel to take into consideration should be made in writing through the Group Leaders, to the Democratic Services Manager

(4) The Independent Remuneration Panel reports its findings and recommendations to Full Council by December 2023, at the latest.

(5) Full Council resolves to delegate to the Democratic Services Manager the appointment of the individual members to the Independent Remuneration Panel.

(6) Payment for Panel members will be at the rate paid to co-opted members of committees - £118.10 per meeting, plus travel (if required)


Reasons for recommendations


To comply with the statutory requirements regarding the review and then setting of Members’ allowances and to ensure that the Council is in line with neighbouring, similar sized authorities.




Wards affected

All wards

Cabinet member(s)

Cllr T Adams, Leader

Contact Officer




Corporate Governance:


Is this a key decision 


Has the public interest test been applied

The item is not exempt

Details of any previous decision(s) on this matter

Full Council approved changes to the Scheme of Members’ Allowances in February 2020.




Options for Future Governance of Sloley Parish Council pdf icon PDF 43 KB

Executive Summary

The options and proposals outlined in the report below allow for a sensible and pragmatic approach which will enable the Parish Council to return to operation.


It is hoped that engagement within the parish will see local electors coming forward to once again serve on the parish council which would bring about an end to the temporary appointments and allow the council to run independently.


Options considered


1.     Run a further Election notice to invite nominations from qualified persons to stand for election to the Parish Council.

2.     To temporarily appoint three parish councillors from District and County Council members. This would be for a period of 6 months to establish an interim Parish Council to seek engagement with the parish, for new membership so the Parish Council can function independently once again.

3.     To dissolve the Parish Council and implement a Parish Meeting arrangement.

4.     To undertake a Community Governance Review in order to implement a Grouping Arrangement with the neighbouring Parish Councils.



We are not seeking to consult with the parish on our initial recommendation however this would be required if options 3 or 4 were to be pursued in the future.




We recommend to Full Council the adoption of option 2 which is the temporary appointment of three Councillors from District/County Council membership. The initial period would be 6 months; however, this could be shorter should qualified engagement to represent the parish be found and co-opted.

We ask that Full Council consider the following recommendation which is felt to provide the best course of action to restore the first tier of governance to the Parish of Sloley.

It is recommended that District and County Councillor Nigel Dixon, District Councillor Gerard Mancini-Boyle, and District Councillor Saul Penfold be appointed to Sloley Parish Council for a period up to six months.

It is recommended that Jane Wisson be appointed Temporary Clerk to support the Parish Council until such time that a permanent appointment can be made.

Separately, it is recommended that an Order be created with respect to delegation of authority which would allow the Chief Executive or the Monitoring Officer have the powers to implement temporary appointment orders in respect of any Parish Council which find itself in a position of being inquorate in the future.

Reasons for recommendations


It is considered this would give a final chance to bring about retained governance for the parish of Sloley if the temporary appointment of councillors can go on to successfully find qualified and willing candidates to join the Parish Council. This will allow us to advise electors of this proposed course of action, as well as the alternatives should this initial plan not see sufficient representation from within the parishes at the end of the six-month appointment term.

Background papers





Wards affected

Hoveton and Tunstead

Cabinet member(s)

Tim Adams

Contact Officer

Rob Henry, Senior Elections Officer,


Links to key documents:


Corporate Plan:         

Not directly linked to corporate plan priorities

Medium Term Financial Strategy  ...  view the full agenda text for item 16.


Questions Received from Members

None Received.


Opposition Business

Please note that the time allotted for Opposition Business is 30 minutes (Constitution Chapter 2, Section 3.7(d))


The following item of Opposition Business has been proposed by Cllr Dr V Holliday, seconded by Cllr E Vardy:


Closure of Blakeney Surgery


Blakeney Surgery, which is a branch surgery of Holt Medical Practice, serves the parishes of Blakeney, Cley, Kelling, Langham, Morston, Wiveton, Salthouse, Stiffkey & Cockthorpe, in all a population of 1954.


Holt Medical Practice proposes to close this surgery. Currently, it serves as a reception hub and a prescription drop off and medication pick up. Face to face appointments were withdrawn prior to Covid and never reinstated despite requests from parishioners


The local and wider community strongly objects to the proposed closure. For example, a public meeting with the practice was hugely oversubscribed, almost 900 have signed a petition at time of writing, and an online survey by Duncan Baker MP had 434 responses of which 99% were opposed to the closure, The major reason for objection is the difficulty patients will face in accessing health care.


If the Surgery closes, for residents of Blakeney and surrounding villages the nearest health care is at High Kelling (a 14 mile round trip), or Melton Constable (a 20 mile round trip). Those without a car, 20% in Blakeney from 2011 census data, face a 3 ½ hour round trip by bus to High Kelling (including a half mile walk) or a 5 ½ hour round trip to Melton. The local volunteer car service is at capacity and there is no local taxi firm.


Over 40% of Blakeney residents are over 65 and over a quarter of these live alone. Over a tenth of residents say their day-to-day activities are limited a lot, and 6% say they are in bad health (all from 2011 census data). How will these residents cope with a three, four- or five-hour bus journey with multiple changes? It is not just older residents. How could a young mother manage with two children in a pushchair?


Travel is similar or worse for residents in nearby villages. For Morston, which is 3 minutes by bus from Blakeney, it would be more than a 2 ½ hr round trip with four changes to High Kelling and it is not even possible to get to Melton. 


Closure will have an impact on health inequalities. Section 149 (Public Sector Equality Duty) of the Equality Act 2010 states that a public authority must, in the exercise of its functions, have due regard to the need to eliminate discrimination, advance equality of opportunity, remove or minimise disadvantages and take steps to meet the needs of persons who share a relevant protected characteristic, such as age and disability.

The National Health Service Act of 2006 states in Section 13G that “The Board must, in the exercise of its functions, have regard to the need to reduce inequalities between patients with respect to their ability to access health services.”


Closure of Blakeney Surgery would also go  ...  view the full agenda text for item 18.


Notice(s) of Motion

None Received.


Exclusion of Press and Public

To pass the following resolution – if necessary:


“That under Section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act 1972 the press and public be excluded from the meeting for the following item(s) of business on the grounds that they involve the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in paragraph(s) _ of Part 1 of Schedule 12A (as amended) to the Act.”


Private Business